Friday, April 3, 2009

Memory Lane...

I was just able to take a small trip down memory lane with my good friend Emily Norris. As I was talking to her, giving her updates on Reagan's pregnancy and all the jazz, the "remember whens" started happening...and we've got enough of those to last a lifetime. Although, one in particular made me laugh a little bit harder at and made me miss Emily a little bit more...



The Tale of the Foote Family Sunburns:


It was spring break my 7th grade year. We were all very excited for this week because we got to go to Sun Valley and go skiing. Taylor and Reagan had gone before, but it was my first time, as well as Spencer and Kanon's. Now, I don't remember much about the actual vacation/skiing part, but I do remember the drive home. We skiied for a few hours just before piling into the van to drive back home. As we sat in the van it wasn't even 10 minutes before we all started complaining about our faces being on FIRE. Yes, that was the feeling. I remember my mom turning around to look at all of us and her face just dropped. We were instantly bright red and swollen. The sun was shining bright that day, and none of us had worn sunscreen onto the mountain. Bad news. We immediately stopped at a store to find some sort of relief/mosturizing cream, then made the rest of our journey home.
When we got home all we did was lay around with cold wash cloths on our faces, constantly putting aloe vera on our faces. We even asked Emily's dad (who is a paramedic) to come over and take a look. We were 'diagnosed' with 2nd degree burns and he wrote up a prescription for burn cream. Our skin was so tight that when we smiled, it hurt, when we looked down, it hurt...everything just hurt. We all missed a few days of school because of our condition, but were right back to everyday life soon enough.
This was a horrible, painful experience and unfortunately we would not let Mom take pictures of us, so sadly we have nothing to document this time.


Here is what Emily remembers:
She remembered coming over to my house and all of us saying she wasn't allowed to make us laugh, but she wanted to crack a joke so badly.
She remembered when she first saw me, my eyes looked like they were "a mile apart" because my nose was so swollen. She was so worried that my face had been permanently deformed from this sunburn.
She remembered Spencer's HUGE blister on her cheek.
She remembered that my mother didn't get one ounce of sun while skiing because the make-up she put on the morning contained SPF-15.





Luckily, we have all completely healed (or we like to think so) and we have learned our lesson in sunscreen.





There's nothing like a good memory.


4 comments:

Matt said...

fabulous story. i love it... hahaha. i would like to have had some pictures to witness this atrocity, however, youre a pretty reliable source for the truth. thanks Laur!

Tyler and Carisa said...

I remember this!!! you all looked so miserable. While at first it was somewhat comical - i couldn't imagine having to go through all of that!

love your guts!

Taylor said...

Oh my word...I laughed out loud when I remember just laying around with cold wash cloths on our faces. That must have been the most hilarious thing in the world for anyone watching. I went to school before I was totally healed I just remember blushing with a sunburn is 100 times worse. And...someone made fun of my in math, and liz and kameko just about killed him.

Shelly said...

How many years have I been telling you guys to put on sunscreen EVEN before this incident?